There are many misunderstandings about the compulsory deductible. Sometimes it is even decided not to go to the doctor. Unjust as you will see.
The Dutch healthcare system is aimed at ensuring that everyone has access to the necessary healthcare, but also that they are critical about healthcare costs. That is why a legally required deductible has been agreed. You must first pay this amount out of your own pocket before the further healthcare costs are reimbursed.
Tip: In our independent care comparator you can compare the premium for a different deductible.
The statutory deductible has been increased several times in recent years. The deductible for 2017 remains the same at $ 385. This amount can cause problems for some people. So bad that they will avoid care. This is of course not the intention of the deductible and often also incorrect.
A third of young people under the age of 25 state that they go to the doctor less because of the deductible. Unjustified, it turns out. The visit to a doctor does not fall under the deductible.
Not under your own risk
The following care is not covered by the deductible and is therefore always reimbursed.
- Healthcare costs for insured persons under 18 years of age
- Costs for the doctor (possibly prescribed medication)
- Obstetric care and maternity care (a personal contribution may be requested for this)
- Population screening, such as breast cancer screening
- District nursing
- The flu shot
- Care from the supplementary insurance
- Tools on loan from home care
Under the deductible
The deductible applies to all care from the basic package (read here on which points the basic package will change in 2018). These include:
- Treatment and stay in the hospital
- Blood sampling
- Patient transport
- Mental healthcare
- Speech therapy
You can voluntarily increase the deductible to $ 885. In this way you can lower the health insurance premium. Before you choose a higher deductible, first ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you expect to deduct the deductible? Yes, then it is better not to increase the deductible.
- Can you pay an unexpected bill of $ 885 directly? No, then it is better not to increase the deductible.
Tip: compare the premium with a higher deductible.